more than 34 different audio cassette types to digital
Most of audio cassette tapes share 1/8 inch as it does the recognisable Philips Compact Cassette, also the Smith Corona LetterPack. There are also 1/4 inch width cartridges like Muntz, 8 track Cart, as well as Elcaset.
Talking about the Music Cassette (or Compact Cassette) there are several issues to get into consideration;
– quarter track (most common one),
– 4 tracks portaestudio,
– 8 tracks portaestudio,
– Reciprocal noise reduction systems; Telefunken High Com or Toshiba Aurex Adres,
– Depending on the composition and playback Eq. we can attedn ; Type I (Fe2O3), II (Chromium dioxide), III (ferro chromo) and IV (metal),
– Special mention is for the Nakamichi system; EX, SZ y ZX, audio quality goes beyond Cd audio limits.
For archival copy we recommend; WAV a 96Khzs/24 bits, 192 Khzs /24 bits ó 88,2 Khzs /24 bits. Raw
For the use copy; CD audio quality Wav a 44,1Khzs /16 bits edited and noise restored.
Most of the common affections related to compact cassette tapes can be successfully treated;
– Sticky shed syndrome. Under controlled heat into a laboratory oven the baked tape can be successfully played back with no problem.
– CC type III (FerroChromo) most of these tapes suffer from delamination.
– Rollers, felts, case and tape breaks, etc. can be easily replaced.
– Tape detached from supply roller.
– Mold; must be removed in conjunction with SSS.
– Loss of lubrication; sometimes we can find squealing tapes that must be relubricated as the noise print goes through the recording itselt.
Professional software and hardware like Cedar Audio (c) allows us to remove the unwanted noises with no footprint into the recording.
– Hiss noise (maybe the most common noise in magnetic recordings)
– buzz, Hum (normally because of AC interferences)
– Print Through; based on storage issues; pre and post echoes could come up in the recording.
– Explosive noises; most of them linked to tape breaks, bends, folds…
– Wow and flutter (some times related to badly calibrated or lack of manteineance devices, which produces inestable capstan working)
— We are professionals in the audio restoration sector —